Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Food


I am having a real problem with the food in Holland. There is so much of it and it is so delicious - I am having trouble getting into my clothes. I have taken to running nearly every day - but that doesn't seem to be making much difference apart from making the rolls of fat firmer. Lindsey can take a lot of the responsibility for this - she serves up little treats at all hours, all of which are irresistible. For example, yesterday morning she decided I really needed to try a traditional Dutch treat: Bolletje (a kind of dry circle of bread called beschuit) with butter, topped with strawberry paste, strawberries and raspberries then whipped cream, sprinkled with icing sugar. Two each! (The berries are all grown by L and Berend of course.) The night before we had "Scottish kidneys" from L's German recipe book. That is kidneys (cooked with herbs, wine) served on toast and topped with an egg. Even Tim, who says he can't cook (but is wrong), is overfeeding me. Back to my Greytown subsistence diet tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kidneys, duck legs in duck fat! Stop it, you're making me hungry!!

I like the sound of the Bolletje though.

Groetjes en liefs

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel a book awaits, Helen. Love the strawberry treat...mmmmmm-mmmmn

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home