Thursday, September 03, 2015

Family history

We are staying across the road from the Musée and I found out that it is possible to access the archives of Uzès on Lundi Mardi and Jeudi between 2 and 4 if you knocked on a secret door. So I did and was invited into a beautiful room (the museum is in the old Bishop's palace next to the cathedral) with a huge fireplace 10 feet high, and a lovely woman looked up de Forlonge in the records. No trace, unfortunately. Uzès was a strong Huguenot centre and if they came from the Languedoc, they would very likely have come from round here. Most of the Huguenots left when the Treaty of Nantes, which had protected them, was revoked in 1685. That is the date that our relatives were supposed to have left France. But as she pointed out, if they were the Comtes de Forlonge that would not have been their surname. She was so helpful and looked up the de Forlonges in Scotland of which there are records back to the birth of John Forlong in 1783. So she suggested I contact the records office in Glasgow and find out the name of his father and then the father before that, so we can see if it leads back to France. What a sensible suggestion! (This is all in French, so very challenging for me!)
So, I will do as she says and then possibly go back to her with more clues.  So, Emily, I might need you to send me a photo of the family tree which I think is inside the family bible.

French people are so helpful - they go out of their way to solve your problems. Two days ago I bought a SIM card from the post office (the card I bought via Claude's friend was the wrong thickness for my phone!) and the post office manager took me into his office and cut the card to size for me then set it all up so that it worked. My friend Gail (who inspired me to come to Uzès and knows a lot about France) says it is because the French choose a profession when they leave school and stay in that profession until they retire and they take their jobs very seriously. But they are also very lovely people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home